Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Cycle Update - Entering the 2 week wait


This little sucker cost us $90!! 


As you can see from above, our ultrasound yesterday went splendidly! Doctor found 3 follicles on my left ovary, all around 15-18mm, and one follicle at 18mm on my right ovary. He said while that is still a high number, he felt ok with us going ahead for the month. He also said that we could even go down a smidge on the Clomid next month, but I'm, of course, hoping that there won't be a treatment plan next month! 
Anyways, for those who don't know, that little shot in the picture above is called the infamous "trigger shot". 36 hours after injection, I will ovulate and potentially drop all the mature eggs I have growing. Since we've gone the trigger shot route, we will not need have timed intercourse (every other day). We only have to  have our marital relations, like, three times in the next 36 hours. Anything after that is pointless because the egg only lives for 24 hours. That is one reason I decided to ask for the shot. The other is that I HATE those over the counter LH tests (ovulation predictor kits). When I was taking them in November, it said that I ovulated, when we all know that I was not responding to the Femara at all. I told my RE yesterday that I really didn't want to have to rely on those to narrow down my ovulation date. He completely agreed with me. He said those tests are horrible and misleading. So he called me in the shot and here we are! 
Now, you can't get this shot at just any pharmacy. You have to go to a special one called an Apothecary. The wait was pretty fast (about 20 minutes) and the pharmacist is super nice. It was right across the way from another fertility clinic, so I'm sure they get orders like mine on the regular. They also gave me an ice pack, since I'm 1,000 miles away* from home and the shot needs to be refrigerated. Of course Curtis just had to be the one to give me the shot, since, ya know, he's an EMT and that makes him the most "qualified" in our house for any and all medical needs. (Sorry for the sarcasm honey! You know I'm just kidding...). Regardless, he did a great job, even though he was really nervous about "sticking me". The injection didn't hurt at all and I have no redness or anything. I'm sure that's expected as this isn't like Lupron or Progesterone, but I figured I would let those of you who were curious know how it went**. 
The next step is to do the dirty and wait. As of Wednesday morning, we will be in what most call the 2 week wait (2WW). If Aunt Flow doesn't show up by February 29th, I pee on a stick and pray for two lines. If she does show up before then, well, we have our answer. But I'm not allowing myself to think those thoughts! I'm staying super positive and telling everyone we will be pregnant this month. Yesterday, I had nothing but positive thoughts in my head. I told everyone that it was going to be a good day, and we kept saying that we were drawing the line at 4 follicles. Low and behold, there were 4 follicles! I feel that it's all a sign for good things this month and I'm so excited! I also had a stern talking-to with my Pop. I told him that he's had almost 3 months with my kiddos up there in heaven and it's time he send one or two home or I was going to be very upset with him. Pop never liked it when I was upset, he always did everything he could to make me happy, and I know that this month will be no exception. 

So I hope you all are ready for this blog to turn in to a pregnancy/mommy blog because, We're getting pregnant this month!!




*Okay, that was an exaggeration. I'm only like 90 miles away, but 1,000 just sounds so much more dramatic. 
**Sheesh, did that sentence make any bit of sense? I am entirely too tired to function right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment