Friday, February 3, 2012

And my week of DOOM continues...

In no way did my week get ANY better after my last post. Ok, that's actually a lie, I did get one bit of good news, but that's about it. Other than that, I had one of the most hellacious weekends that I can remember in the last few months. Let me break it down for you:

We all know how Wednesday went. I don't really feel like travelling down that road again.

Thursday was actually fairly good. It's the day that I got my great news, but I want to save that for last. I've been ending quite a bit of my posts on a negative tone and I don't want to do that on this one.

That brings us to Friday, today. Today was a good day. Work was easy, I had lunch with a good friend/coworker. I laughed a lot, which is always good, and I got off work early...around 3:30pm. You guys, I did not step foot in my house until 6:00pm. What was I doing for 2 1/2 hours you ask? Oh, let me tell ya...
My first, and supposed to be only, destination when I arrived in town* was Walmart. I needed to pick up my Clomid, as today is cycle day 3 and I am supposed to start my medication. I patiently wait in line, browsing Pinterest on my phone thinking, I'd love to try a new recipe tonight. It's finally my turn at the counter and I give the clerk mine and Curtis' information, as I was picking up a script for him too. She tells me, "Oh, yours isn't ready." I replied, "Ok, how long?" She said, "Tomorrow. We don't have that medication in stock." Tears immediately welled in my eyes and I replied, "No. I have to have that medication tonight. I cannot wait until tomorrow." She says, "Ok, let me go check." So she rustles through the boxes on the shelves and then speaks to the women at the drop off window. She comes back and says, "She's going to check on it for you." Then tells the woman behind me she can help her. Oooookay, looks like I need to move over there then. So I go over to the drop off window. The woman there tells me that they don't have that medication in stock. I repeat, "I have to start this medication tonight." So she calls the two other pharmacies in town to check if they have it. Turns out, Fry's does. Hallelujah! She says, "We're going to transfer your script over there for you. In the future, if you have to take this medication again, call us a couple days in advance so we can have it in stock." Oh, so my doctor calling it in yesterday wasn't good enough?! Whatever.
So, with that settled, I hop my ass back in line to get Curtis' prescription. Of course, his is ready and in stock. The clerk asks me, "Do you usually pay this price?" I look at the screen and say, "What price?" because there was nothing on the screen! She responds, "$156". "Ummm, noo." She takes the medication and returns to the women at the drop off window. She comes back and says, "She'll have to help you. You should get your insurance card out." So back to the drop off window I go. The lady says, "Oh you want insurance on this *chuckle*" I bit my tongue. After typing all of our insurance info in, she drops the bomb, "It looks like insurance isn't going to cover this. They want him to start off with a lower medication before starting this one." "Oh, so my doctor can write us a script, but our insurance can deny it and decide to tell us what medication they want to take?". She shook her head, "Yup. I'm going to send a notification to the doctor about this, so check back with us on Tuesday to see if they've changed their minds." Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that insurance people now carry MD's and can tell us what medication we really need without a physical examination. Awesome. So I leave Walmart empty handed and fuming.
In the parking lot, I get in a small altercation with a woman because the parking lot is a madhouse thanks to everyone in our town getting their welfare checks and invading the stores. I won't go in to detail because I threw out some pretty vulgar language, but just thank God that I don't have a handgun yet. I might be typing this from jail if I did.
I arrive at Fry's and go to the pick up counter. The clerk there informs me that my script is in the computer system and it will be about an hour before it's ready, "or you can pick it up tomorrow...". At what point do people realize that I can't wait until tomorrow? Who do I have to RAGE at before these pharmacists get a clue? I tell her, "I'll wait." So I return to my car because that's the only way the innocent bystanders will be safe from my wrath. I call my cousin and rage with her to get my frustrations out.
After an hour passes, I return in to Fry's, wait for her to get my insurance straightened out..."Your insurance doesn't cover this." "I know." "Ok. That'll be $9." "Ma'am, I would pay $500 for this medication right now." She looks at me like I'm crazy. The pharmacist asks, "Have any questions?" Nope. I've ridden this rollercoaster before. Just give me my meds and get out of my way. I finally get the Clomid in my hands and head home.

All that. All of that just to get my ClomidClomid does. They know what I'm taking it for. Have a little compassion! Maybe my RE has just spoiled me...
Speaking of RE, and my good news I promised, he called me yesterday to discuss a monitoring ultrasound. He's giving us our cycle day 12 ultrasound for FREE. I was shocked! When I answered my phone, he said, "Do you really live in Claypool?" I said, "Yup." He seemed surprised. He said, "Wow! That's really far! I didn't know where that was and had to Google-map it and WOW, that's really far!" I was like, "Tell me about it! I have to drive 100 miles to come see you doc!" And every time it's been some form of bad news, but I didn't say that out loud. That man is so nice, I couldn't make him feel bad like that. He then dropped a bomb, but a good one, "Well, while I'm confident that 50mg of Clomid will work, I still want to make sure. There are always instances where it just could not work. So, I want you to go ahead and come in for an ultrasound, but this one is on the house. I hate that you have to make such a long drive, get bad news, and then pay $320 each time. I'm gonna give you this one for free. Just email me as we get closer to the date and I'll fit you in the schedule. How does that sound?" Like a freaking gift from God doc. And hands down, the best news I've heard all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment