Monday, April 1, 2013

More 26 weeks update

I know many of you are just dyyyyying for a more in-depth update, so who am I to keep you waiting? Hurr hurr.....sorry. Again, I suck.

Last Thursday I had my 4 week growth ultrasound and my every 4 week check up. I was 26 weeks on the dot. First for the ultrasound-
The babies are measuring 1lb 15oz EACH. They are exactly the same size according to whatever Jedi force determines that number. According to my app, a singleton pregnancy the babies weigh around 2lbs 2 oz. According to this website, they are 1 oz over the norm.
Anyway, we got great news that Baby Boy (A) has decided to turn and go vertex!! This made me super excited as I want beyond anything to attempt a vaginal birth. That was, until she measured his head. Maybe the screen makes it look bigger, but DAYUM Son! You got a big freaking head! To also know that they are measuring the same exact size now, makes me a bit more scared. Like, is baby girl still gonna slide right through? Or since she is a fatty like her brother, am I still going to feel everything twice?
After measuring, etc, and listening to perfect heartbeats (153 for him, 144 for her), the tech said, "Peecture tiiiiime!!" at which point baby boy, being the non-shy kid he is (like his mother) turned and grinned and flashed all his stuff for the camera. When baby girl's turn was up, she decided she didn't want to partake in any such nonsense (bratty, like her mother) and the little turd flipped to face my back. I walked out with 8 pictures of baby boy's face/junk/body and 3 pictures of baby girl: 2 of her spine and 1 of the back of her damn head. The tech felt really bad, but what could we do? I tried poking her a couple times, but she was determined to pout and snicker and have a grand ol' time hearing our frustration. I called her a brat the rest of the day and her Dad just found it hilarious. He said, "She knows I want to be surprised about how she looks so she keeps turning from the camera, heh heh." 
Do we think she's already got him wrapped around her finger? Oh no honey, we KNOW.

Now to doctor appt: She's making the decision to start seeing me every two weeks now. So I'll see her again on the 11th. She also gave me the order form for my Gestational Diabetes test, that I have 2 weeks to go do. UGH. I'm terrfied I'm going to fail since I was chubby before I got pregnant. I know I did the 3 hour test back in August/September and passed with flying colors, but I also know that placenta and babies can fuck it all up so I have the potential to fail this time. Fingers crossed I don't!!
We discussed that at 32 weeks we will be having twice weekly testing. I think it's the non-stress tests. So, at that point she discussed going on maternity/short term disability. Which gives me about a month at work to get all my shit straight before that happens.
We also talked about birth plans. I told her that I want to go vaginally, to which she says if baby boy stays vertex she is willing to try with me. We talked about skin to skin, but I also was asking her what could I be expecting realistically. She said that we'll deliver in the OR, whether it be vaginal or c-section, just in case something goes wrong. She also said there would be a large team there to inspect babies and what not, so skin-to-skin isn't super feesible, especially with two of them. Cause when one is out, I still have another to go. I told her that I pretty much expected that and I know there are SO many things that can go wrong (distress with one, not fitting with one, etc etc), but that I trust her and I know that her focus is to get them out safely. Which, truth be told, is my number one goal as well. I will admit that I am a bit bummed that I won't be able to get a "special birth" or whatever, and that could be the hormones and the fact that this may be my only pregnancy, but I'm not letting it consume me. I'm going in with a total open mind and willing to let what needs to happen/happen. I told her that and explained that I don't intend on typing up a birth plan, then having shit go sideways and then I scream labor rape, ya know? I trust her and as long as we vocalize what is happening along the way, I don't care.
Besides all that, I have gained about 17 lbs, although it feels like A LOT more, and everything is looking great! No more cervix checks until farther along and I am TOTALLY ok with that. haha. Next up is gestational diabetes, figuring out where we want a pediatrician (our little town or the big city) and waiting until maternity leave to pre-register at the hospital. 

*Quick side note: I want to make it perfectly clear that I am not knocking those who have typed up a birth plan or have had a labor-rape scenario happen. That's not what my intention was by that paragraph. My point was that I understand that things will happen that neither I nor my doctor can control and I'm not going to have my heart set on a specific route when it can change in the blink of an eye. I know there are instances of which doctors don't listen to their patient and the patient is robbed of an experience or they felt helpless. My heart goes out to those. But I have great communication with my doctor and luckily do not have to worry about that. I think with multiple pregnancies, as opposed to singletons, we have to keep a more open mind as to what is going to go down in the hospital room. 
If I'm not making sense, or you're still offended, I apologize. It's a Monday, after a holiday, and my feet/back/pelvis/head hurt. Take it easy on me....

No comments:

Post a Comment