Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Getting back in the stirrups


Not my awesome Doc......nor my legs 'sigh'

First off, sorry about the graphic title...and the image. I clearly have issues that go beyond infertility.

Yesterdays meeting with our fabulous RE went pretty much according to plan. Maybe it's because I know what a fantastic doctor he is, or maybe I don't set my sights too high, but I swear we spent an hour and a half like a couple of friends just hanging out laughing. I'm honestly surprised we didn't bust out with some beers, although Doc did have himself Circle K 100oz coozie though, so I guess that was hilarious enough.
To kickoff the appointment, even though he knows most of our history, we went over a more in depth questionnaire regarding our health and our family health. I was able to tell him that thyroid issues run in my family, along with diabetes, and that my grandmother had some mild issues with conceiving as well. He immediately set up tests for my thyroid and a 2 hour glucose test, similar to the gestational diabetes test. Since I have PCOS there is a very good chance I am insulin resistant. Not diabetic, but definitely issues with the way my body processes sugars and takes in calories. He said that he and I could both eat a 1000 calorie burger, but my body would take in about 800 calories while his would take on around 600. We're both pretty sure that I will need to be on Metformin, but I'm taking the test to confirm it before just taking it to see what it does like last time. I'm not exactly looking forward to chugging down that sugar loaded concoction, but let's be honest, I've gone through worse during this process!
Apparently some answers I gave during the history questionnaire leads him to think I may have a mild case of Endometriosis as well, some scarring could be the reason my uterus is tilted, but from what he remembers on ultrasounds, he doesn't think it would be enough to require surgery or anything like that. I know how rough Endo is and when he said it could be possible my heart dropped in to my stomach, but he reassured me that it small amounts of Endo can be common (1 out of 36, I think) and that few benefit from surgery (1 in 25). He's gonna be sure that we keep an eye out for it for the time being.
The doctor also discussed my weight. I've never hid the fact that I am overweight, or at least I've tried not to. I've known it and I've struggled with it, but I've not been able to go full force with making a life change. He explained to me that if you took me, the way I am right now, and took away the PCOS, I would have no trouble conceiving. Then he said that if you took me as I am now, with the PCOS, and you took away 10-15% body weight, I would again have no trouble conceiving, so he is wanting to work with me on getting the weight under control to in turn get the PCOS to ease up a bit. We plan to meet after my tests come back and we'll discuss the Metformin and a more specific diet plan. I'll go in to more depth on this issue after that meeting.
Then, we got in to our protocol discussion. With PCOS, we need a plan that gives us a bit more control over the amount of eggs I produce as well as the quality. You see, Clomid tricks the brain in to producing MORE eggs, but it does nothing as far as the quality of them. Injectables (injected hormones) can control the amount as well as the quality. He said that women with PCOS tend to have trouble with ovulation and also the quality of their eggs, so we needed to go at these next rounds with more control (have I said control enough??). He is suggesting that we do 3 rounds of Intrauterine Insemination using Clomid and Injectables. Knowing our situation with insurance and that everything we pay is out of pocket, he says this is a good option for both our wallets and the extra bump we need to get the ol' uterus a working.
I brought up a statistic I heard about the difference between the success rates of IUI's and IVF's being only 15%. If we're doing IUI's with injectables, that can run a pretty penny, and we try for 3 rounds with no success, why not just save that money and go straight for IVF? He reiterated that PCOS can tend to effect the quality of the eggs, meaning that I could produce 20 mature follicles, but I could have only a few, at most, end up fertilized. Doc also said that while he's an aggressive treater, but he is confident that an IUI can get us where we need to go. Of course, we need to get one under our belt and see how my ovaries react, but if after 3 times we get no pregnancies, we will discuss moving on to IVF. I trust his judgement, so I have no problem following his lead.

And, as usual, everything with Curtis is going great. His sperm is fine, he has no family history that is disconcerting, etc. etc, blah blah. That ass ALWAYS has it easy!

Like I mentioned earlier, my doctor is fantastic. We discussed trying to work around my job schedule and the location difference, doing as much as we can in our little town, but also trying to ease up on the financial stuff. It's nice when someone understands that we're middle-class people that still have bills and such, and we can't just drop thousands out of our butts for this. It's also great to hear that, yes Curtis and I are young, but after 3 years of this, something isn't right. So while we wait for my next cycle to begin, we have about 3 weeks, we're going to do the thyroid & glucose testing, get my diet on track, and gear up for our first IUI round to begin!

As always, thanks for reading my absurdly long post (even though I'm sure you're glad it wasn't chock full of my ridiculous quips) and if you're on this roller coaster with me, Baby Dust and good thoughts your way!

xoxo, Lindsay Lou

P.S. I can see that I'm getting quite a bit of traffic, but my followers count is holding steady. Please don't be shy or be afraid to comment. I love meeting new people and I wouldn't mind answering any questions or snide remarks. All I ask is that you be nice, k? 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Lindsay: I just wanted to leave a little comment of encouragement. My husband and I tried clomid and femara(due to side effects of clomid but they do the same thing) but neither worked. The doc then had us on Femara for 5 days then 3 or 4 days of follistim injections in my belly that my husband gave me at home which produced 1 mature egg. Finally a trigger shot when the doc said so with scheduled sex. we were originally disappointed by the one egg but tried anyways AND, the combo was perfect for us as I am now 27 weeks with baby "uno" (since it was 1 egg.. kind of lame I know but since we dont know the gender it works as a temporary name). I have PCOS and had a uterine septum that was surgically removed. I was also on Metformin 1000mg daily from somewhere in the just Femara era and was on it the lucky cycle.

    I love your posts: the humor, honesty,reality, and encouragement. Infertility sucks and should be talked about more as so many people struggle with conceiving. Best of luck to you and I look forward to further posts!!! Hope the combo is magical for you too!!
    -Mary Ann from Madison, Al

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Ann! Thank you so much for sharing your story and Congrats on your Baby Uno, which is NOT lame and totally cute and original! It always helps to hear of couples with success with a similar protocol as me. I'm really hoping that the combination works for us because financially we're just not ready for IVF.
      Thank you for reading my posts and commenting. While I've had many people express their dislike of my blog, I view it as doing my part to try and break the silence of infertility. I'm not sure why it's something we're not supposed to talk about, plus I never follow what I'm "supposed" to do, so I'm talking about it!
      Thanks again for the support and encouragement! And congrats again on your baby!

      Delete
  2. Girl, this sounds like a checklist of what I went through.

    The Metformin didn't work, so my diabetes doctor (I saw one because of the whole insulin resistance thing) put me on an injectable (Victoza). Literally within a month or two, my sugars were finally normal again, I had dropped a bunch of weight and I got pregnant. I can't go back on Victoza until I'm done breastfeeding, so right now I take Januvia and Cinnabetic II (a cinnamon supplement) to kind of keep my sugars in check. I haven't really lost much weight yet, but I imagine I will once I change meds.

    Not sure where you are in AZ, but I go to Diabetes America on Ray Road. They're really fantastic there and, like they did with me, will do everything they can to help you get pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart skipped a beat when you said "Within a month or two"! I'm going to be sure to keep that medicine, Victoza, in mind when I meet with my RE again on the 17th. I know I gave Metformin a try before, but I was really monitoring it or working with diet and exercise like I am now. It's been so frustrating doing diet and exercise and seeing no results (thanks PCOS!), so I look forward to finally seeing that damn scale move!
      We are in Globe/Miami. If you take the 60 East out of Mesa, then Gold Canyon, then continue on through Superior, you'll run right in to us. I might discuss with my RE about meeting with a doctor there or at least tell him about your situation. Thanks for the tips!

      Delete